Thursday, February 16, 2012

What A Miss!

My family loves food and I love making them. Cooking ideas are like breathing. It comes naturally. However, not all of my ideas make it as a hit. Most are a miss. 

Do you know David Rocco from TLC? If not, check him out here. I like him. He cooks the most delicious looking Italian dishes made out of simple ingredients. One of his recipes that I've seen on his show is a pasta dish which uses eggplant.

Pasta alla norma by David Rocco


I wanted to recreate it since hubby and Tri are both fans of pasta. So, a couple of weeks ago, I bought the ingredients from the grocery and went straight home after work to start cooking. 

This was my version:

From this:


 
 To this:


I know there are a lot of differences from the original, but the worst mistake I did? I did not fry the eggplants prior to adding it on the pasta sauce. Check Mr. Rocco's steps here. I never knew it would make a big difference! The eggplant came out too chewy and has an earthy after taste. Tri didn't mind, but me and hubby noticed that right away. It was disappointing. But I had no choice. It was my fault, I still ate it and had a portion packed for work the next day. 

I'm never gonna do that recipe of mine! EVER. AGAIN.

But for every recipe that missed my family's standards, there is always something to celebrate about. 

My own version of mango float: mango puree and graham sans the cream

It was simple but was a hit to everyone! 

I'm just so glad mangoes are in season. :) No more Italian something for me today. I'll try going more for comfort food. 

See you next food trip!



2 comments:

^_^ wReY and R0bbY said...

ok lang yan teh! All all learn from our mistakes! nagutom tuloy ako sa piktyurs mo! hehehe...

thirdy_smom said...

flop sya! :) Pero kinain ko pa din tinanggal ko lang yung talong :D