Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dirty Cake

My mission this 2012 is to make sure that Tri and I would have extra quality time whenever possible. I've failed on that part miserably over the past three years--which upsets not only him, but more of myself. I promised him I'll be a better mom.

So, to start the year right (actually, the eve of New Year), Tri and I made a messy--but special home made dessert we called "The Dirty Cake". We call it like that because of its appearance.

This is a very simple sweet treat for kids that me and my half sister used to make on special occasions. It is well know as "refrigerated cake", with a much more sophisticated version "Crema De Fruta" which is baked.

Let me share you how we did it:

1) You'll need the following: Graham Crackers, All Purpose Cream, Condensed Milk and Fruit cocktail (fresh fruits are much better).

2) Get a tray or a microwavable container.

3) Place the graham crackers to start as a cake base. (Tip: You may dip the cracker on some milk to soften each bar before placing it on your tray.)

4) Layer about two to three spoons of all purpose cream (or as long as the entire area is covered).

5) Add condensed milk.

Optional: You can also add a layer of slightly grounded graham crackers or similar type of biscuit for texture and extra fun for kids!




6) Repeat steps 3-5 or until you have reached the desired height of your cake. (Me, until there is only 1 inch gap from the edge of the container).

7) Add your fruits. Be creative!



8) Sprinkle some of your graham crumbs on top of the fruits. (I used left over tea biscuits for this, like the one below:) then add another layer of cream and/or condensed milk

Tea Biscuit--Tita Em-ar's gift :)



9) Watch your kid enjoy!



10) Lastly, keep it refrigerated for 1-2 hours before serving.

This is a super fun activity. Do not be afraid to make a little mess around the kitchen or spill some of the cream on the table. It is part of the fun! Tri has been bugging me to make another one for him. Not only that he liked the not too sweet taste of it, but it's a perfect bonding idea.

But it was a bit messy after...really messy!

1 cool point for Mom, though :)