Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Book and Movie Review: Twilight

     When I first saw the trailer of this film few years back, I told myself that it was another-teenage-type-of-movie. Very typical. A shy, unpopular girl fell in love with this uber handsome, arrogant and rich guy. They hate each other at first then totally got struck by a cherubim. Then there comes the bestfriend who is secretly inlove with the girl but the girl never paid attention. I wasn't a big fan of mushy movies. Romance isn't my comfort zone. I don't like it because the plots are usually predictable. 

    Then one 4th of July, I was asked to render a what we call in BPO industry "OT Off" (meaning I am obliged to come to work even if it is my rest day). Files and calls are not that much during that time of the year. Don't have that much work. So, to avoid getting bored and sleepy, I rummaged through my desktop folders and found a soft copy of Twilight. 


BOOK.

The cover of the book intrigued me. What's with the apple? What does it signify? 



     So for the entire nine hours of that said shift, I found myself reading page after page, chapter after chapter of the first book by Stephenie Meyer. 

My judgement:

- I like books that are written in first person point of view. Felt like I was really the character. It drew me closer to the story and the emotions seem so real.
- Dialogues are so natural. It makes reading smoother (if that statement makes sense!) 
- I never got bored reading a paragraph or a page worth of description of just one place! She (S.Meyer) used simple ways to describe a location and let her readers create the picture on their own heads. 
- Surprised to see a piece of story based on my roots. (Vampire story based on a Filipino myth). 


Rooms for improvement:

- Sometimes, reading the cheesy lines, makes me feel SOOO CHEEEEESY! Given the chance, I would scratch some of the dialogues to avoid being corny.
- Where's the action? Apparently, the first book does not give readers that much action. The ballet studio part could have been a bigger fight between Edward and James.

All in all I'd give the book 8 out of 10 (10 being the highest). Yes. it did entertain me and my supposed-to-be-boring shift. It made me feel the "butterfly-in-my-stomach" again, something that I once trashed, hehe! It was a nice read. Gave me the chance to go back my teenage years. 

MOVIE

      For every movie made inspired by a book, there is always this notion that the movie version would suck. I braved myself and ask hubby to get me a copy of the film. 

And my opinion:

- Astonishingly, the movie was almost as loyal to its original form as it is. Of course, there are some parts of the story that are "misplaced" so that it could be contained in a one and a half hour to two hours of playing. But they are still well executed. 
- The cinematography matches the tone of the story. 
- The actors who played Bella (Kristen Stewart) and Charlie (Billy Burke) gives its viewers the awkward feeling of a deafening silence between a father and daughter. Kudos to both! :)


Improvement?

- Continuity. I caught some scenes that are obviously an error from the editors. (Please browse through IMDB page for this film).
- Underacting (well, not all actors, though).
- Exposure of other characters. Not everyone was given the chance to shine, specially those characters that played a great role on the book. 


For the movie, I give it a 7 out of 10. Lets give the movie a chance to improve. :)


Yeah, yeah. I did watch a romantic film and watched it with hubby. Even watched it four times!

Will continue with the other two books and movies next time :)

0 comments: