Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Simbang Gabi

Today marks the start of the Filipino tradition of Simbang Gabi or Mass at Dawn. It is when Filipinos wake up early in the morning or before the break of the dawn to go to churches nationwide and attend the mass. It is a nine-day novena devoted for the Blessed Mother. It was believed that if a person is able to complete the whole nine days, he can wish for anything and will sure be granted.


I wonder if I'm just not too religious or if I really don't have a single bit of Holiday spirit in me.


Never in my life have I attended a single mass of the Simbang Gabi. It's not that I don't believe in it. Not that I don't wanna wake up that early or bore myself with the mass. I don't know. Why attend the mass if my heart's not in it? Or if I'll just laugh at some person's dress or some people sleeping in the middle of the homily? That would be sarcasm. Sarcasm inside the church. My dad is the head member of a music ministry that was always invited to play for the mass. He was not a church goer himself but loves playing music for Him. He said, "it does not really matter if you go to church every Sunday or not, what's important is you know how to thank him everytime you wake up, appreciate whatever it is that you received--big or small and finally, trust in Him."


These words are still hanging on my mind.


My hubby himself is not a church goer (I wonder if Tri can make a change), but we both pray or simply say "Thank God" whenever we receive anything, material or not.

Going back to the Simbang Gabi, I heard in the morning news some funny terms used during this season. (To those who can relate or uh--guilty, I know this will sound funny! Enjoy!)

   1.   The "Simbang-puto bumbong/bibingka".
           
               This term applies to a person who only attends the mass to enjoy the puto bumbong and bibingka together with tea.

    2.   The "Simbang-BF/GF".

               Teenage girls/boys going to church to secretly meet up with their partners and anxioulsy wait for the "Our Father" so they can legally hold hands.

    3.   The "Simbang-runway".

               Go figure. Socialites flaunting their Gucci attires, their Chanel bags, their Fendi belts and shoes.

     4.  The "Simbang-Politicians."

               Uh-hmm. May 2010 elections. No comment  =P

The list goes on for those observant peeps...The bottomline is, there is no need to follow a tradition as long as He is in your heart and you have your own way of celebrating his birth. May it be going to church or just simply saying "Thank you for being a part of our lives."




MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!


  
              

            
               

0 comments: